Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Me! I need sleep!! I haven't talked about it much, but in my quest to be healthier, I've also been shedding some weight. I've lost quite a bit and have quite a bit more to go. I've recently stalled and have found it utterly agonizing. ACK!!! I have identified a number of possible contributors, the biggest of which is less than 8 hours sleep per night. I thrive on 8 hours, and found my weight dropped more easily and more readily when I was getting that full 8 hours. I haven't been consistently getting 8 hours for the past month and it shows.
I have a couple of accountability buddies, and am adding to my collection--the more the merrier, I say. We all recognize that it's a matter of lifestyle change, not just a "diet". We all recognize it's a slow-going (if not utterly frustrating at times) process. We know we must eat well, not drink our calories (water and unsweetened iced tea for me, thanks), and move more. Small changes in our lives and our daily routines that add up to pounds dropped.
Once again I remind myself (and all my buddies) that it took my almost 13 years to get to this point, so it's going to take a while to come off. I've become such an instant gratification girl that I want it NOW. NOW NOW NOW and it's not working that way. I also tell myself (and I know it to be true) that the slower it comes off, the more likely it is to remain off.
So, I eat fairly well (I leave an allotment for a 1/2 cup of ice cream in the evenings), I move and I have a support group. These are all good things. I maintain a food log and try to be excruciatingly honest with myself. It's going to happen, I just need to remind myself of that once more.
So, this morning, as I was stepping into the garage, my left foot turned sideways and I put all my weight on it. It's a lovely sprain and it feels fantastic. :oS Do you know I still went out to meet C this morning? We hadn't done any running in close to two weeks so knew we needed to today. I've got the bum ankle and my lungs are still crubby from the ick I've been fighting. I still managed to get some running in. I'm so proud of myself (oh, and the ankle is no worse for the wear, btw--in fact, it's just a little tender and there's no swelling) and yet, wish I could do more. Baby steps baby steps baby steps.
1. Running again. I knew I hadn't gone as hard as I could last week since I just didn't feel it. Today I emptied the tank. Whew!
2. I finally ordered this and it arrived today! It's been sitting in my cart forever and I decided I just needed it. I also preordered this at the same time. I'm such a P. Allen Smith junkie. ;o) Oh, and Deb. LOVE LOVE LOVE her blog.
3. Being able to run again--just a bit. I've got to train for that 5k, huh? ;o)
4. The girls all playing together so beautifully after school. They are now big fans of toilet freeze tag (thank you, Aunt Kelly!).
5. My husband is a good man and a hard worker and I'm so proud of him for doing what is right even when it is hard and unpopular. I truly admire that as I don't know that I have that in me. :sigh: