Sunday, May 13, 2012
Mother's Day 2012
Mom, Paul and I went to the Smithfield Plantation heirloom plant sale Saturday morning, leaving B home with the girls. They didn't have those lovely columbine (like the ones at CW) that Mom and I were looking for but got a tip to go see a guy in Newport. His columbine were long gone, but Mom and I still found a number of plants that simply begged to come home with us. ;o)
Upon returning to her place, we began working on our Mother's Day picnic. Since I knew we would be leaving early this morning, we decided it would be best to celebrate Mother's Day yesterday. Mom roasted a pork picnic overnight (holy smokes did it smell amazing!). It fell apart and was turned into BBQ. B made potato salad, I made deviled eggs and mom made cole slaw, baked beans and strawberry ice cream.
We dined on her patio--Blacksburg weather is simply gorgeous this time of year!--and the kids ate the bare bones minimum they had to in order to have an ice cream cone. ;o)
Ellie awoke around 3 this morning with a blazing fever, sending B out to get some ibuprofen. She's been miserable most of the day, poor baby. She's not the world's best traveler anyhow, but add in a cold with fever and the trip home was not pleasant for any of us.
However, she seems to be a bit better now that we're home. The ibuprofen has helped, and she's actually eating a little bit right now. I'm going to assess the situation tomorrow to see if this warrants a trip to see Dr. Jen.
In spite of that, though, I've had a lovely Mother's Day weekend. :o)
1. No one asked if the girls were my grandchildren on the way home. Whew. ;o)
2. Time with my family.
3. Time in the 'burg eating a Mike's burger, Carol Lee donuts and a Macado's sammich.
4. Lovely weather all weekend.
5. Knowing the cats, buns and pooch were well taken care of so I didn't have to worry about them.
6. Safe trip there and back.
7. Pop brought Holly home to us so we didn't have to stop and get her and could just come straight home with Miss Sick.
I'm always a bit down on Mother's Day. The girlie who made me a mama isn't here to share it with me.