Wednesday, June 06, 2012
A Monkey and a Bit
Last night, Bitsy and I were discussing her swimming lessons and how they're going. I've not been to one because Bev has been doing the driving so I can stay home with Ellie (which is quite kind of her--I'll be driving tomorrow). Bev told me Lil is doing very very well and is quite excited by her lessons, the same thing Bitty told me. She also said Lil isn't jumping off the side of the pool into the water yet, and Lil told me she's afraid to go in water over her head (which Bev confirmed).
So, at bedtime last night, Lily and I were talking about swimming lessons and things she needs to work on. Not going in water over her head is really holding her back (and the coaches, bless them, don't push too hard, just wait for her to be ready), and I asked her why she was afraid to get in the deeper water.
"Because I don't want to be like Hannah."
Lil has always been aware of the fact Hannah died and went to heaven. We've always given her just the amount of information she needs based on her age. So, when she was two and three, we told her Hannah had died. At four and five we talked about Hannah drowning and what drowning means, but we didn't give much more info than that. The time wasn't right.
Last night, it was time.
Lily was ready to hear more details. I told her Hannah wasn't actually in water over her head. I told her how Hannah had been playing a game with another little girl, how they were going under and popping back up--as kids will do. Then, I told her about the rip current. We talked about how Hannah didn't know how to swim, and the differences between a pool and moving bodies of water. I didn't go any deeper than that--that's a conversation for another day. I'll know when the time is right, just as I have every other time.
It would seem our talk had an impact because Miss Bit reports she was in the deeper water this evening and wasn't scared. She said she is swimming under water and pushing off the wall both on her tummy and her back (you should see her toes). I can't wait to see her go tomorrow! :o)
1. Why hello to all of you I "met" today! It was lovely getting to know you! :o) Thanks for saying hi!
2. The windows have been thrown open and the fresh air is flowing. I can hear the sounds of outside once more. Oh the weather has been wonderful!
3. Bitty's swimming lessons going so well.
4. Lil's kindergarten program was today. It was so fun to see her and her friends sing and dance and have a thoroughly enjoyable time singing about "Oceans of Fun". :o)
5. Being able to help Jana out of a tight spot with Sally.
6. I finally have a face to go with Tami's voice--I "met" her today at the program. Yay!
7. No more blue on the Bean. Woo hoo! I would have sworn that would be on there FOREVER. Thanks to all who shared similar horror stories. They made me smile and laugh. :o)
8. I saw a number on the scale today I've not seen in YEARS. Woo hoo!!!