Thursday, November 29, 2012

Snowflake Wreath How-To

I stopped by JoAnn and picked up the materials I needed to make a second snowflake wreath.  This one came together even more quickly than the first. :o)

You will need 24 4" snowflakes (I found mine on Amazon, but I've seen them in the 'Jay and in a wide variety of colors), a wire wreath form, white (or whatever color of snowflakes you're using) ribbon (I used 1.5" satin) and a glue gun.

Begin by wrapping the wire form with the ribbon.

As you can see, mine isn't particularly smooth or neat.  Mostly I was just looking to create a background to attach the snowflakes to.

I am an eyeballer when it comes to measurement, so you'll just have to go with me here.  I used the center of the snowflake as a guide when gluing on.  For my bottom layer, I aligned the top of the circle within the hexagon with the inside edge of the wreath.

I also used the "branches" or "arms" of the snowflake as a guide.  I made sure each snowflake I glued down had a branch pointed straight into the center of the wreath.

I laid each snowflake on the wreath to determine the best way to lay it before gluing it on.

I also used that initial lie down to determine where I needed to apply the hot glue.

I began by placing snowflakes at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock.  I would glue one down and then rotate the wreath to place a snowflake directly opposite the first.  I could then divide the space between the two and glue and then rotate and place another directly opposite that one.

Working the same way, using the circle inside the hexagon and the branches as guides, I filled in with the remaining four snowflakes.

I created the second layer as the first, only this time, I centered the circle inside the hexagon on the wreath, and placed them alternating between the first layer.  

Working as I did on the first layer, laying down first, then gluing, I placed the eight snowflakes.

For the third layer, I used that same circle within the hexagon as a guide, this time aligning the bottom of the circle with the outside of the wreath.  I then glued the snowflakes on top of the original layer.

There may be some overlapping, as eyeballing tends to be imprecise, but that's okay. That's why you lay the snowflake down prior to gluing.  You can rotate the snowflake as needed to get the best fit and determine where the hot glue is needed in order to secure it.

I finished the wreath off by gluing (and then pinning!) a ribbon on the back. 

*****FISBEE WATCH 2012*****

We were lulled into a false sense of security with Mr. Fisb.  He's been so good the past few evenings, I never would have expected something like this!

It seems as if he was trying to leave us a note where we would be sure to see it.  "More candy please!" complete with an official seal of the North Pole.  Oh my!


You would think that an elf who is an observer in this house would know that getting into tape would cause trouble.  The girls always have a terrible time trying to rip the tape off the dispenser.  I guess our boy had the same trouble...

Oops!

6 comments:

twingles said...

I'm not crafty but might try this - it's so pretty.

You should open an etsy shop - seriously. Call it the Monkey, the Bit and the Bean.

Korinthia Klein said...

That's very pretty. Thanks for sharing!

Jess said...

It is very pretty and delicate! I like that you could leave it up all winter as it doesn't necessarily scream Christmas!

Jori said...

You did a great job! It's beautiful! I agree with Jess, it will be great to have up all winter.

Anonymous said...

Looks gorgeous. What size was the wreath frame?

Rach said...

Anon,

Thank you! It's a 12" wreath. HTH