|Oh my stars! When I saw this photo I almost died laughing. Look at us!|
The dough is simple to make and comes together quickly.
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 cup baking soda
3/4 cup water
Mix together and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. The liquid will eventually come to a slow bubble and will thicken to a smooth mashed potatoes consistency. Collect it in a ball and put it in a bowl. Cover with a damp cloth until it cools and is easy to handle.
|Gee, and I wonder why my girls poke out their tongues when concentrating.|
A note: The dough will resoften if it is wet enough, just ask Beanie...
I was terrified I would ruin it and was very careful coloring him. I even pulled out my super nice SU! markers for the job.
Although he was undeniably cute, I still felt there was something missing.
You can also use polyurethane, clear spray paint was what we happened to have on hand.
The only thing left to do is string them, and then hang them on our tree next week. :o) I'm SO tickled with these!!
They are less dense than salt dough, and almost seem foamy or foam-like. The dough would work well for hand prints as well. The ornaments are very delicate and brittle before they are fully dry, but once dried, are pretty tough--not that I would recommend dropping one or anything. ;o) Like most ceramics, they are weakest at thin points, such as at the straw hole or cut-outs.
I would love to do this again, and am seriously considering have Sadie, Sally and Alicia come over to decorate ornaments sometime before Christmas. Cookie decorating parties are fun, but this could certainly be fun too. :o)
1. Okay, this wasn't a sparkly, but the table sure was sparkly.
You know what they say about glitter, right? ;o) (If you don't know, I'll be happy to share.)
2. Holy smokes is there a RED tree in Bev's backyard:
3. We brought all the tubs and boxes of Christmas goodies in from the workshop attic, ready to be put out and up when we get home from Thanksgiving.
4. I convinced GF to fly out here to be with us for Christmas. I'm so excited I can hardly stand it!!!
5. My girls are getting to the point where they play together all the time. I LOVE hearing them play and laugh. I'm not a fan of the screaming and yelling, but at least they're not fighting, right?
6. I made a sparkly star garland for Hannah's sparkly tree which I'll share tomorrow. :o)
7. RE was pretty fun today--there's nothing quite like eight little boys who've just sat through Mass...;o)