Sunday, December 29, 2013

Look What I Did!

Okay, so I'm just a little bit proud of myself.  I made something!  All by myself!  I did it!! :o) If you follow me on Instagram, you already know this, so bear with me.  (If you don't follow me, and you would like to, my user name is mom2lid.) I just have to squee a few more moments because, I did it

I found a small project here that looked simple enough for me to figure out.

My new baby arrived Friday afternoon. 

I finally allowed myself to sit and read through the manual after I finished thoroughly cleaning the house and doing laundry.  I read the thing from cover to cover. 

I have to say, tension and messing with it used to intimidate me (I never wanted to mess with it), but after reading the manual, I think I have it figured out.  And, just let me say how fantabuloust he internet is.  If you have a question, the answer is out there waiting for you.

I learned basic sewing skills in seventh grade in Teen Living (formerly known as Home Ec), and made a patchwork quilt when I was 16.  I've done a bit of sewing here and there, but never much.  I've always wanted to learn more, and now, I have an excuse. :o)

We visited JA Friday evening so I could pick up a fat quarter bundle for my project and I spent Friday evening jamming my new baby.

No, I'm not kidding.  I filled a bobbin and got it in.  I threaded the machine.  I got out some felt to stitch together so I could soak up any extra oil, and it kept jamming.  I know this is a good machine, so I knew it was operator error, which made it all the more frustrating. Thank goodness I'm not afraid to take things apart...

The felt was the problem and once I switched to flannel all was well.  Whew!

Saturday I got to work cutting and ironing and...I DID IT!



Right now I'm using it to hold my as yet unfinished mitten project.  I'm planning on getting those puppies finished the week. :o)

And, wouldn't you know it, now the girls each want one as well.  I guess I'm going to have to practice sewing just a bit more. ;o)

Speaking of crafty things, Lil's been a bit busy. :o)  (I confess, I made the two rainbow ones.  Shocking, I know.)

Today, I decided I'd had enough of my Christmas decor.  I love love love decorating my house for my family (and me) for the holidays, but once Christmas is over, all the decorating looks like nothing so much as clutter to me.  Presents are strewn everywhere and things just begin to look droopy and tired. 

As I might have mentioned once or twice, clutter has a tendency to stress me out a bit.  Just a bit.  Ha!  It seems that even B gets to the point where he's had enough, so today (in spite of us both feeling wretched now that we've become infected with Bean's snotty mess of a cold) was the day.

I had to take a couple of photos of the Jesse tree because it made me so very happy this year.  Here's side one.

Side two.

Side three.

I hand wrote and dated a little note explaining why I made the ornaments so that years from now (and when I'm gone even more years from now), my family will have a record of what I did and why.  (I did also mention B made the tree. :o)

I can't believe I didn't take any photos of my decorating this year.  Huh.  B asked if I had taken a picture of the dog with the saddle bags and I realized I hadn't.  So, here he is before we took him down.

We were in the midst of chaotic hell for hours today.  OMWord.  I was SO over it all.  But, six hours later, it's done. 

Hallelujah. 

I'm sitting here on the couch enjoying the lack of clutter and listening to the girls laugh their patooties off at Despicable Me 2

The mantle looks roomier.

No little birdies or soldiers hanging out up above.

No snowmen or smokers or nativities on the shelves. 

Things are as back to "normal" as they can get. 

And, may I just say how happy I am to have it done before the new year?  It's not hanging over our heads.  When you put out as many trees as I do (four this year) and as much stuff, it takes awhile to get it all put away.  I also spent a good deal of time reorganizing and sorting and things will be better next year. 

Tomorrow we head to Richmond (we had to cancel on Friday because Beanie was STILL snotty and had a fever) and then Christmas will be over.  As much as I adore it, I have to say, that doesn't make me sad. 

Did I mention I have a new GGBoE to organize and get going to look forward to?  ;o)

***************************
Sparklies:

1.  So, we had a kitchen chemistry lesson on Friday. 
B received some of those reusable hand warmers in his stocking and they had all been used and therefore crystalized and needed to be reliquidized (now there's a Rachael-word for you).  B explained it all to the girls as they boiled them. 

2.  The house is back to normal.  Whew!
3.  My little project!
4.  The turkey soup that's on the stove.  It's Williamsburg Turkey Soup so it's thick and creamy and...yum!
5.  DM2.  That movie is SO cute!  I desperately need some minions in my life.  :oP

No milestones.

Thanks to those of you who offered ideas about Hannah's stocking. :o)  Oh, and I can't remember who asked about the sticky chocolate/orange loaf (sorry!) but, yes, I'll get that posted.  I need to make one more before the new year anyhow.  :o)

3 comments:

Ness said...

OK, Rach, you've got me....what was that acronym you referred to as something you had to look forward to in this blog post? Glad you had a great Christmas. My husband wants to leave the tree up until Epiphany Jan. 6 and I think I will go Coco Puffs before them. I did take down the stuff outside before it got so windy and cold and putting up Christmas where he doesn't notice. If I can get it down to just his tree this week, I will be a happy woman.

Rebekah Thomas said...

Rach, I haven't been on in so long it seems, but I've been visiting you at least once a week to see how you all are. Life got crazy with grad school and work and going to the gym.... anywhooo, I was on blogging tonight for the first time in ages and wanted to leave you a note.

LOVE all the projects you've made these last few weeks- really loved the Jesse tree!!! I hope you love the sewing machine. I'm looking forward to graduation in May so I can get back to my crafts and sewing!

I hope you and the family have a wonderful, blessed new year!!!

(((hugs)))

Rebekah :)

Lori Chandler said...

Hahaha...I bought that exact same fabric bundle @ JA and used it to make some of my kiddos' gifts this year. My favorite project was patchwork scarves (obviously found on pinterest...lol) which were wonderfully simple and also adorable. I love what you did with them, too! I can't wait to see what other projects you come up with.